I'm so wiped out but I think it's all emotional and hormonal. My day started well. I went to a Mom's of Multiples brunch in Sioux Falls. The ladies were great and I got tons of good advice and encouragement. They gave tips on nursing multiples (which I’m planning to do). We also got some websites about some car seats that could possibly work with our stroller. It was so nice to talk to mom’s with experience.
My mom left to go back to Gillette today. She's been here for a week taking care of me. That was kind of hard on me because it has been a great week hanging out and working with her. But, I SUPPOSE I have to let her go home to my dad and her work. It was just such a (warning: understatement ahead!) HUMUNGOUS help to have her here. So, I was quite sad to say goodbye after lunch.
Dan and I went by Target to get necessities for the babies. I used the electric cart there for the first time and it was OBNOXIOUS! I was so humilated because the store was super crowded and the reverse on my cart was SOO LOUD! I would get stuck places and have to back up and everyone around me would jump out of their skin and then stare at me. As if I needed more of that. Just to describe it: the coal mines in Wyoming probably get their back-up alarms from the same manufacturer. No kidding, I thought some people were going to hit the deck if I HAD to back up. The baby section had people crawling everywhere so I just had to sit in the big areas and have Dan bring things back and forth. I had been so excited for the trip and shopping together and it was miserable at times. This was probably one of the last chances to get this done so I didn’t want to come back another time. Anyway, when we got to the checkout, I started crying! Right in the middle of the store!! I'm usually a rock with fighting tears and so poor Dan asked what was wrong. Big mistake... talking=more tears. I was feeling so overwhelmed at all we needed to buy and how much we were spending. I was frustrated over the shopping experience with the stupid cart and exhausted from being out all day. Most of all, I think I was just tired and sad and it was a bad combination. I can’t explain hormones and my tired emotions to Dan very well. He calls crying “cheating”. I know he just wanted to fix whatever was wrong…. But I’ll have to get back to him when I figure out what it was. I wonder if Dan will ever take me in public again.
Well, at least now that my mom was here we can say that we are as ready as we'll ever be for three babies coming into our lives. We could get by the first month or so anyway. The nursery is set up as well as another room for sleep-over help. We’re going to put a crib in there too in case one baby is extra fussy and causing problems. Otherwise, we plan on trying to co-sleep them as long as they like it and are nice to each other. House construction is finished and clothes are washed and folded. Dan finally said today that he feels ready. I know we’ll never be “ready” to be parents, much less to three babies. Nevertheless, it’s nice to feel as prepared as possible.
Sleep time now… gotta go.
Until next time,
Elizabeth
Sorry you had a meltdown! Hopefully you won't have one when James and i are there, but who knows when a person is pregnant. Mom said that she didn't get that bed made. Just have Dan put the sheets down there and we can make it when we get there. I'll call you on Wednesday when we leave! Talk to you then... can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteHey lady,
ReplyDeleteI did not have triplets so I definitely do not know exactly what you are going through, but be comforted in the fact that that is totally normal!! You can not control when the tears come...I wish I could tell you it would get better once the babies come...but they won't for a while. You hormones are acting crazy still and trying to get balanced...add that to little and interrupted sleep and the breakdowns continue. I can promise that they will get better and better everyday. Also, it is such an amazing feeling to wake up to a crying baby, go into their room, and they look at you and smile (that comes later on). Surround yourself with people who will support you (sounds like you have some people) and do not forget to lean on those who will give you strength. Don't bottle emotions up--because then they will come pouring out when you least expect them too (and usually at your husband). God has blessed you with these babies--He will help you though the emotions too :) God's blessings to you my dear!
I totally can picture this "cart moment" but I am sad that it had to happen in my favorite store. : ) I feel your frustration but man I bet it's tough. I am so glad that your mom was here to help you out. Mom's are amazing. You'll be a great mother Beth. AKA Elizabeth... I am praying for you and Dan and the babies. Take Care
ReplyDeleteNever fear- you are totally normal! Your hormones are totally whacko and unfortunately, it won't get better for a long time. I hear you on the money thing- when my son was in the NICU, we ate most of our meals at the hospital cafeteria. They had a salad bar and you paid by the ounce. I remember freaking out one day and bursting into tears because my husband had a salad and put beans on it- beans are heavy! The whole meal cost us together about $6, but I freaked because of how much we were spending!!! Then, we went to Babies-R-Us to get some things we didn't have time to get before the baby made his surprise early arrival, and the lady said they were out of the monitor I wanted. I burst into tears there too. I'm sure the lady thought I was nutso! And I cried AGAIN looking at the wall of pacifiers and bottle tops- I had no idea there were so many choices, and it was very overwhelming and the tears just flowed. I knew I was going to have to get some bottles because Brecken didn't know how to latch on, so I was pumping and feeding that way. But who knew there were so many choices for stupid bottles.
ReplyDeleteSo, no. You aren't a freak, and it's perfectly normal to burst into a meltdown in the middle of a store. :)
Kara
oh elizabeth, your story made me laugh! thanks for that!! sorry to hear about the meltdown though, but as i can see from the posts, you have been assured that it happens quite frequently. i decided to have my melt down in front of my sisters new in-laws this summer after their wedding....good choice Steph. :) What do you do though? the hormones have a mind of their own!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 29 weeks??? is that right? that's so awesome! we're still praying for you!
You are SO normal! You gotta love those pregnancy hormones! I remember being pregnant with Alexa and being SUPER emotional. One day Greg and I were shopping at the mall. All of a sudden I stopped what I was doing and told Greg I was going to cry. He of course wanted to know why and what he could do. All I could say through tears was, "I don't know why I am crying!" So I too can relate! Like someone already said, it doesn't stop after the babies are born either. Even now with Dylan being 6 months I still find myself VERY emotional. I think once you become a mom you are even more emotional then you were before! So just smile and know you are a Mommy and thats why you cry like you do! :) Still praying for all 5 of you!!
ReplyDeleteI agree that once you are a mom you are even more emotional. I now understand why my mom used to cry all the time and embarrass me and my sisters. It's just a mom thing. I can't imagine being pregnant with three at once, but I agree too that it is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and out of control, especially towards the end of pregnancy when you start to realize these are eventually going to be real babies.
ReplyDeleteAgain, from experience, get diapers, a few pj's, bottles, socks, and a few onesies - and save the rest for when they come, because they WILL NOT know the difference when they first get here! :)