Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Catch up with the Nebelsicks!

I'm just sitting at home now recovering from our eventful weekend. I'll start from the beginning...

Friday, we had an appointment with the doctor to measure the babies and check-in on everything. My sister, Jessica, got to go with us and see the ultrasound. My cervix had shortened to 1.9cm and was slightly dilated. Not good, but not terrible enough to check me in to the hospital. We decided that my activity has to be severely limited and doing all we can to keep me pregnant. The doc gave me my first of 2 steroid shots. They help the babies develop their lungs for a premature birth. Dan volunteered to give me the second one on Saturday. Brave guy! It's a doozy of a shot. We got some cute pictures - mostly of our baby girl because she was the only one posing for the camera! :)

Baby Girl profile

3-D Baby B, Face with the foot up by it (uh-oh, I think my daughter has my nose!)

Baby C lounging, one leg stretched out and one tucked under

Baby foot



Friday night we had dinner with my family at my aunt Donna's in Sioux Falls. I spent the evening in the recliner or lying on the couch. But, I was noticing some contractions and my heart was pounding at 120 bpm. Just laying there! We figured I must be hyped up on the steroids.

When we got home and settled down for the night, I started noticing more contractions. They were coming more frequently, but I thought I was just freaking myself out and wanted to fall asleep, thinking that would help. The next morning I woke up and was tracking the contractions that came back. I was getting them every 6 to 8 minutes! That's way more than the allotted 4 an hour. I called the doctor and we were off to the hospital!

I got checked in and to make a long story short, they moved me in to a big room and hooked me up to monitors. We knew we'd be there for a while. I also had to face one of my biggest fears - the IV. (duhn, duhn, duhn - imagine ominous music) Dan hadn't been gone 5 seconds to grab lunch and the nurse walked in announcing she was going to insert a humungous needle to stay permanently in my arm. Good thing I've had experience as an actress because I believe I played it pretty cool when my body wanted to run out the door. Unfortunately, the first try in my hand didn't work so and bubbled up. Second time in my wrist took but yuck! The IV became my nemesis for the rest of the stay. All I kept thinking was I better toughen up because that will be nothing compared to the imminent epidural and c-section.

They gave me some medicine for the contractions and it seemed to do the trick. I stayed in the hospital until Monday afternoon and they let me go home. YEA! I feel like I'm recovering from the hospital stay. It was hard to get sleep there because of the many things everyone has to take care of through the night and early morning. Today I slept until 10:30am and then fell back asleep at 11:30 to 1pm! It was just what we needed. The babes are still moving up a storm. It's awesome.

We'll end with the best news of the weekend. All 3 babies were measuring 3 pounds, 3 ounces! 3 times 3.3!! I thought that was pretty cool. All heartbeats looked great and the pregnancy is stable. We are going to keep close track of everything at home and pray I keep going strong. My goal is still making it to 34 weeks, which is May 22. This Thursday will be 30 weeks and I think we can do it! Pray, pray, pray! Everyday the babies stay tucked away is sooo important to their development and health.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and we'll keep in touch!

6 comments:

  1. Yikes babies! It is not quite time for you to come out to play...

    I promise, promise, promise, the IV, shot in your back and c-section are nothing once you hold your babies. I'd never had anything done to me in a hospital before Leo, so I was very scared too, but the drs. & nurses get your mind off of things, and it's a breeze. I promise. Although...don't have any big secrets. I spilled my guts and told Slade's secret to strawberry twist ice cream. My nose itched too...

    We'd love to come and visit, but Leo has had a cold, and I don't want to bring anything to you! We'll come see you when we are all healthy! As my brother would say: "Keep your legs crossed so those babies stay put!" (Like it's that easy...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you know who I am. But I am from Gillette and know of your sister. I just want you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers. If you want to know who we are our blog is. http://www.xanga.com/mllucas

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say much about a c-section-but I don't think you'll have a problem with the epidural. You just do some nice breathing and keep looking at Dan and it will be over. At least that's how my 1st one went-the next one I was more irritated and not so relaxed and I felt it more. You'll be fine! I can't believe it's only 4 weeks until you are 34 weeks-it seems like just yesterday I was looking at the 1st ultrasound pic and hearing your miracle news!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried to post a comment but it didn't go through...so I will try again.

    We are praying and will continue praying everyday for your precious family! I am so happy to hear how big they are! That is amazing! Sounds like they are doing great!

    All of this will be more then worth it once you hear and see your babies. It is truly amazing!

    Just know I am here if you need to talk. I have been through some of the same things you are going through (but on a smaller scale). I remember being pregnant with Alexa and praying every week that we would get ONE more week. She was finally born at 33.5 weeks, so I know all the fears that go along with having a baby being born early.

    Hang in there and keep resting. Just know that you are an amazing Mama already!!

    Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was afraid of any needle going into my body. The IV went in well, I didn't look, and the epidural wasn't as bad as I thought. I was in too much other pain to think about it and was just so glad it was coming when it did. You'll do fine!! Praying for you guys.

    Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I about passed out with the IV, but can have three babies (not at once mind you - 4 years apart from oldest to youngest) without a drop of drugs! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete