Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blah blah blogging

Dan was unusually quick-witted tonight. The couple of sitcoms we chose to partake in this evening must have rubbed off on him. We love to laugh together. It keeps us sane, especially after a day like we had. I have often thought it feels like a sitcom around here with all my blundering idiot ways and Dan's ability to point them out. Here are a few moments in the life of Mommy and Daddy Nebelsick:


Tonight, we were loading the dishwasher together after babies were in bed.

Me: "After you are done with the dishes, do you ever think, 'I won't be done until I wipe down the counters?'"

Dan: "When hunting pheasants, do you ever get one short of your quota and think, 'If I just walk three more miles I might get it?'"

I don't hunt.

(Side story... I did walk the fields with him once, while we were dating! I was desperate to spend any amount of time with him then, since our entire relationship was long distance. He had to of known I was a keeper then: every step I took, tons of spider webs stuck to my face and the rest of me. I will never know why I didn't run away as fast as I could since I avoid even cleaning them up with a five foot broom handle in my house I dislike them so much! Must've been love. He said he had never experienced a field like that before or since. What luck!)

*******************************************************

Laying in bed tonight, an unnamed bodily function occurred on the other side of the bed.

Me: "I am going to have to blog about that one!"
Dan: "If you blog about my bodily functions, I get to blog about your bodily functions! ..... (long pause while my brain scans all of his humorous options)...

Dan: I win."

That's really not fair though. I have been pregnant. Enough said.

******************************************************
He got in one last digger somehow:

Dan: "What are you doing?"
Me: "Rubbing my back, why?"
Dan: "You are wiggling."
Me: "Well, it's a good thing for you I don't rock myself to sleep anymore. I used to when I was single, you know. (I start my old rocking habit.) I still want to sometimes."
Dan: "Do you want to be single again sometimes?"

Ok, ok. I better put an end to blogging our conversations or he'll never speak to me again. Don't tell him, k?

It was bath night tonight. We played Rock, Paper, Scissors for who was going to be manning the tub. I lost. Five times in a row. I won the sixth time, but I don't think I could have pulled out a lead from there. But, we ended up doing it together anyway. All three sat up in the tub for the first time tonight. We had a grand ol' time! They splashed and splashed. Lucky for you, we took bath pictures for the first time at home since our initiation into bathing our babies in June! What a different experience!

Rub-a-dub-dub, three babies in a tub:

A different angle:

David and Aria looking. Aria is showing us her rubber ducky friend!

FINALLY all three looked up at the same time! You should have heard Dan and I's rendition of the "Look up here" scene from Three Amigos. CAH CAH! Guess you had to have seen it.

Using our fun towels for the first time too. Levi the Lion, Our Pretty Princess Poopsie in her Pink flower, David the Duck.


Yesterday, our nurse came for a visit and gave us new weights and heights for everybody. Ok, not everybody. I can already tell you I am 5'10" and there is no way I am reporting what they scale said yesterday morning! Here are the stats:

David: 21 lbs. 14 oz., 29.25 inches
Aria: 18 lbs. 3 oz., 29.75 inches
Levi: 20 lbs. 8 oz., 29.5 inches

I don't know how accurate measuring the length is, so pretty much they are all about a half an inch from being too tall for our infant carseats. And, if David has a wet diaper on, he's too heavy for the 22 lb. weight limit. Good thing we dropped a load of money on carseats and babygates at Toys R Us last weekend. Not to mention buying three months worth of formula because Sam's club in Sioux Falls quit carrying it. Poof. There went the Christmas bonus. Sorry honey, your snowmobile dreams turned into baby mush. Remember... David, Aria, Levi. David, Aria, Levi.

Speaking of babygates, they sure have come in handy for keeping cruising David out of harms way. He is definitely good at pulling himself up to stand wherever he can get a grip on something and investigates new territory by getting up on his knees. The end tables are no longer safe from his little grubbers. He is learning the meaning of the word "no" and actually responds. I would like to think I could be one of those mothers who avoids saying no until the teenage years by redirecting their attention. But, that is not possible when I am usually feeding another baby or at the changing table when he goes for the TV and receiver buttons. Or Aria's eyes. Poor thing.

Aria received a glowing report from the physical therapist who stopped by here on Wednesday. She is sitting up well so now we have to work on getting up on her hands and knees. Someday she'll want to be mobile, right? Aria did very well with tummy time today and stayed on it for a good half an hour playing. I was so proud!

At the top of the hour (since it has probably taken you that long to read this, I am such a blabbermouth), I mentioned the night Dan and I had. Let. Me. Tell. You. There was crying of alligator tears, screaming from three babies at once, not wanting to get dressed , out-numbered parents, and general impatience galore! I don't believe we have ever seen a 15 minute period like that before. They were discontented from being taken out of the fun bathtub and made to wait in the cold while Momma gets out the camera again! Add in their starving bellies and we had a virtual disaster. Dan and I stayed remarkably calmer than we have in less trying situations and just played off of each others' loving kindness to the babies and the Lord led us through! I thank God for blessing me with such a wonderful partner. Many a lesser man would've been outta here!

Oh yeah... it doesn't help that they all have runny noses and don't feel good. Blast those snotty noses! They kept me from MOPS this morning and it was all I could do not to pretend like I had no idea there was something oozing from their faces and go anyway. I miss my MOPS!! Arg. You know it's a necessity when I am this close (picture me holding up my thumb and pointer fingers) to NOT going to Gillette (gasp!) because it would fall during a meeting. Sadness.

In other Nebelsick news, I suppose I can make it public now, but I am not going back to work next school year. Dan and I have talked the subject up and down and all around and have come to the conclusion that God is calling me to be a triple-time mom and homemaker. (I would say full time but I feel like that does not adequately describe the situation.) This is the job I have always wanted, begged and pleaded for. It feels like I would be turning down the promotion of a lifetime that pays far more than one person ever deserves. I am very much at peace, especially since I was able to break the news to my principal today. He was very understanding. I will miss the kids and being the celebrity known as Mrs. Nebelsick. (I was the only music teacher to all of the Pre-K through 5th graders in town. They liked me. They really liked me.) Dan often rolled his eyes at me loving my adoring fans who would turn up in the grocery store, gas station, or come running out of their houses to say "hi" as we walked by. But, I don't get a re-do. Three "babyhoods" are going to pass by at ONCE and I don't want to miss a thing. I don't know if I'll get to do this again. I pray I will, but I do not know God's future plans for my womb. (I can hear the collective internet gasp, and yes, I want more. I told Dan the other day he was LUCKY we have triplets or I'd be dragging him back to the fertility clinic right about now. Ha.)

I should probably change the title of this to "Blah blah blah blah blogging" right about now.

Back to the kids. They are adorable. And fun. And a lot of work! I love my life. I love my kids and especially my husband. I am very blessed that it has not been hard to make sure he comes first in my heart. That doesn't always translate in action, but I am trying harder. I just read a great book, For Women Only, by Shauti Feldhahn. Great book. It has inspired me in the wife department and I would recommend it to any woman.

Oh yeah, for goodness sake, back to the kids! They are all very proficient at babbling "da da da da" now. Every once in a while they will throw in a "ma ma" but never on command. It is usually when they are upset. One way we have found to make them happy during the fussy hour at night is to undress them down to their diapers. They LOVE being free!

We now make our formula by the pitcher full. We use a Pampered Chef pitcher because it has the plunger for easy mixing.

The idea came from my mom's co-worker/friend who has twin boys. I felt like bonking myself on the forehead for all the months I made individual bottles. Although, my excuse is that they are just, as of this week, getting all formula. Before, they would have some breastmilk during the day. We are finally done with that era. Yippee!

Even though I complain about the colds that came on yesterday, we have been so blessed with how healthy they have been this cold season. I take them everywhere, as you can obviously read. They don't lack for adventure in this life yet and I pray they never will! I could look back over the past week or so and think of a lot of things we could blame the colds on, but I don't want to play that game. I don't like to worry, probably to a fault. So, I am not going to. I will be smart. We keep them from sick people and wash our hands a lot. Other than that, I'll stick to the motto, "Let's go!"

I have an unspoken prayer request. I wish I could give you the details, and maybe someday I will. But, just know that I am praying my heart out and it looks as though the Lord is on the move!

Well, the picture process is going to be a long one... starting with a reboot of my computer, so I am going to put my words to rest. Please enjoy the shameless display of my gorgeous children. Kinda cute, huh?

Love,
Elizabeth

All three playing in the living room. We moved the toybox down from their room and it's already full!


The boys getting stuck. David crawled under the exersaucer and Levi rolled until his legs were stuck on it. He got mad!

Playing with Aunt MiMi a couple weeks ago.


Trouble with a capital 'D' ~ David!

Hey! You aren't supposed to be able to reach up there!

Aria displaying a tooth.

Levi's two teeth.

David trying to get his teeth in view.

P.S.-If you enjoy reading my blog, I love it when you leave comments. I am inspired to post more if I know people are reading it. Anyone can comment... even anonymously. If you are new to my blog, I have a Guestbook to "sign" by leaving a comment. It is archived back in August.

HAPPY 100th POST! We've come a long way, Babies! Here's to many, many more!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for ranting and raving. I always love hearing how your life with triplets go. It sounds like you have your hands VERY full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elizabeth! Love the blah blah blah! Really I love the pictures, but did read the blah! Dan is gonna post about your bodily functions next?? Ya sure, men they think they got one over on us... Anyways so glad you get to take the year off! I am back to work and miss the trio....then again I like to get away every now and then!!
    Take care!
    Nichelle (honeycoombs) from babycenter boards:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to mention...I ramble too:-) But I love the bath tub pictures, too darn cute!! I can't wait to all mine sit up. I tried putting them in bumbos in tub and it did not work! They float! Oh and we use that pampered chef pitcher too! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your posts, Elizabeth. I love getting to know your family more even though we are HOW many miles apart?

    I also love your giant industrial-sized bottle of Johnson's baby wash.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, I do know from my own blog that it does help to get comments...I need to get better about commenting on other blogs. :)

    I love looking in at your lives...I am sure that there will be moments in the next few months where my one baby will be a challenge, and I can think back to your experiences and know that we can make it through. Thank you for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol i love it! i rant and rave on my myspace the same way. just think though, in a few months it wont be pitcher of formula you have to buy it will be gallon and gallons of milk- maybe you should cut your losses and buy a couple cows! lol j/k i love reading about your family- wish you were closer so we could have play dates, daisy is just a couple months older than they are, it would be fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blog too. It also inspires me, but you should feel lucky cause I might only get one response out of every five posts I put on mine. I don't even know if anyone reads mine! :)
    Your babies are getting so big, and to be honest your boys outweigh my Judd who will be 1 in two weeks! He weighs 20 lbs. 2 1/2 oz now.
    I commend you for staying home next year because it is a FULL-TIME job being a parent of three and I run a daycare, and have NO IDEA how parents afford daycare.
    I love that you want more babies. I do too. I want more and more! :) I love being a mommy and can't think of anything else I'd rather do!
    Don't you love how mobile and human like they are these days? They are now little people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I check daily, sometimes more often, to see if you've posted again, so please keep them coming. I can imagine how busy you are with those 3, but I enjoy reading about your adventures.

    I'm torn about your news that the babies are no longer getting breastmilk. Because of personal opinion, it makes me sad they won't have that special nourishment anymore. However, I remember the days of pumping and sore nipples and such... while I wouldn't change it and plan to breastfeed if we have more children, I understand the joy that comes with completely having your body back.

    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blah blah blogging, and I love reading about your babies. I check in on you guys all the time, and for some reason the babies look like such "big kids" in the pictures this time! They are just way too cute. And congratulations on your decision to stay home with your babies "triple-time." What a blessing to be able to do that. I've often asked my mom if she thought you'd really go back to work next year. Babies grow so fast (I'm finding that out too as Ella turns 6 months old already on Tues). Enjoy every second!! And keeing blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may feel like you are writing the Charlie Brown teacher sounds "Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah!" but I hang on every word and every picture that I can get of all of you and the cherubs! I am so happy when I hit the blog and find NEW posts! :) I love you dearly and know that you will be extremely missed in your calling as a music teacher, but you have your own little choir to get going and they need you the most!

    Love to all five of you!!

    Aunt Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have big babies. I seriously didn't think Nebelsick babies would pass Rylan up for at least a while!! Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    You sure did blab a lot in this post. My students had to wait when they came back to class so I could keep reading. It was worth it, though!
    If there is anyone coming back to Gillette would you send that book back with them maybe?? I have three people on the waiting list for it. I should have had my mom pick it up this weekend. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like we are all having fun in the tub:) We've never mixed individual bottles, and what we found that works the best is to have a pitcher big enough that you can dump a whole can of powder at one time. Then, you won't need to measure the powder and save some time that way. We used to use the 1/2 gallon size when the babies weren't drinking as much milk,but now we use the 1 gallon size Pampered Chef pitcher. We marked a line on the pitcher to indicate how much water to add, then we dump one whole can and we're good for 24 hours:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading your books...I mean blogs! :) Your writing is so wonderful!! I love getting to peek inside your world, I am so amazed by you!! I know you are a wonderful Mommy and I am SOOO happy you will be staying home with your babies! Talk about an amazing promotion for you!! You are so very blessed with 3 BEAUTIFUL babies! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bath pictures, I can't imagine all the water that has to be all over the floor after all that excitement. :) Keep blogging, I love it! Oh, and don't worry I won't tell Dan about all the information you shared about him! ;) hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed with all the things your babies are doing already. I can't wait until all 3 of mine can sit up well enough to trust them in a bathtub. We still have to use the little tub. Happy almost 9 months to your trio. I love checking in with them and seeing what they are up to since they are just a few days older than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny girl, elizabeth! I had to laugh when I saw the banana chair on its side as a makeshift gate...we use the same method! We were hoping not to have to do actual gates until we leave here in a couple months, but Scott's getting ready to hop the chairs soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always glad to catch up on the babies and your trek. Congratulations on your decision to stay home with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love reading about your exciting lives! You and Dan are such great parents. You do have beautiful babies. Love the bath pictures. Congrats on your decision to stay home next year - you won't regret a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your decision to stay home with the kids on a long term basis! God is so good to have made that possible for you. Elizabeth, you are an awesome mom and you have so many fun times ahead. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete