Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July weekend

Holy cow... we are exhausted! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend. We packed up and went to Dan's parents house this weekend. I had no idea what traveling would really take until we tried it. I felt like I was a co-manager of a major production. It takes an army to get this show on the road! And the timing has to be impeccable. We have to make sure the babies are all fed around the same time and have everything loaded and ready to go. Feeding usually takes 30 minutes as long as there are 3 adults to help. We didn't ever do it with less than 5 adults. As soon as they are all done, they are strapped in the carseats and away we go. When we get to our destination, they are usually ready to eat and be changed again. We time it like this to discourage fussing in the car. It was worked so far! So basically, there is no more planning when to leave... the triplets let us know when they are ready and we respond. Life sure has changed. I am a goer. I love to get in the car and go for road trips. I have frequently made an 8 hour trip to Gillette just for weekends for the fun of it. It's going to be a while before that ever happens again. But, I can't tell you how worth it it is to see family.

Timing isn't the only interesting part of our production. We also took our entire routine with us. We basically packed up our kitchen and livingroom(actually, now it's our nursery... we are definitely not carrying them upstairs to sleep yet) and put it in our van. It feels like the only thing we left was the furniture. I was looking forward to figuring out this weekend what we DIDN'T really need to take along when we go. I don't remember being able to go without any of the items we took. There is no scaling down this production into a road show.

On the 4th, we made it to Grandma and Grandpa's house and unpacked. Then we loaded everyone up and went to a family friends' house for dinner. We took some family "Fourth of July" pictures in their cute outfits aunt Donna gave us. Dan happened to coordinate with us too... my red shirt was on purpose. If Dan meant to coordinate, he didn't admit it. :)

We have other pictures!! We are able to view the proofs of our photography session online. They can be found at www.meliawinterphotography.smugmug.com. There are some very cute pictures and we can wait to get some printed out for our home.

On our way home today, we stopped at Dan's grandparents house. David, Aria and Levi got to spend a little time with their Great-Grandpa and Grandma Nebelsick. We took some neat pictures there with them. They served us lunch and we got to visit a little bit. Dan's grandpa sure looked happy holding little David for a long time. It was really neat when he held all three for the pictures. We won't be able to do that much longer with the way these guys are growing!

We were welcomed home by my parents and my sister Jessica. They sure were excited to see the kids. They said hi eventually to Dan and me also. :P I'm glad Jessica gets to spend time with them while they are still little.

One more exciting event happened this evening. Dan and I wanted to celebrate a successful weekend of travel, so we all went to Pizza Ranch for supper. "All" meaning the Nebelsick Five, Mom, Dad, and Jessica. I figured we almost had them double teamed so it couldn't go too terribly wrong. We timed it again so the kiddos had eaten, and they slept all the way through our dinner in their carseats. Carseats are magical, I think. I'm glad we picked a Sunday evening to go because there weren't many people there. There were some curious peeking visitors to our table, but no one tried to touch the babies. We have wonderful stop signs hanging on their seats that read, "Please wash your hands before touching mine." We love them. The hospital sent us home with those. For other new parents... you can also find them at "mytinyhands.com" They work like a charm.

Well, that's all the time I have for now. I heard a baby squawk and I'm running out of time to sleep before my shift starts. Enjoy the pictures!

My milky white leg compared to Kara, who has spent time at the pool. I'm lucky if I open an outside door during the day! I rarely know the temperature outside.


David found his thumb the other day.


Ready everyone?

Smile!


Great Grandparents Nebelsick


Dan and his Grandpa Nebelsick holding all three babies - Levi, Aria, and David


Nap time during Mommy and Daddy's lunch.



Grandpa David napping with baby David. We were hoping to get more pictures with Grandpa and Grandma Nebelsick this weekend but time flew by and we didn't get it done. Hopefully we will soon!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Belated 4th of July. We took actually took a trip this weekend to Minnesota to Tony's grandparents lake house. It was so much fun! I love that place. So the boys hung out with their great grandparents.
    Traveling with three kids is very difficult at times. I hate to tell you this, but the amount of stuff you have to take doesn't change as they get a little older, it is just a different arrangement of stuff. I also hate to tell you this, but babies are easier travelers than toddlers! :) Our 7 hour trip home today, took us 10! Yikes. They had to stop to "potty" about 100 times, eat, start a movie, stop fights, get out toys and coloring books, etc. It just will get crazier, but still totally worth every minute of it! We have a suburban now and had the third seat folded down, and with our 4, 3 year olds, and 4 month old, every inch of that car was packed with stuff. Even if you don't end up using something, just as soon as you don't take it, you'll need it. Glad to hear you are getting out and not cooped up at home!

    ReplyDelete