Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Whirlwind Fun

We went to Wyoming this weekend! Can you believe it? We left Friday evening and got back to Sioux Falls Sunday. The babies and I took my cousin, Alecia, and she made the trip possible. She was such a big help with the babies. Dan stayed behind because he doesn't share my wild hair for travel all the time. But it couldn't have hardly gone better!

Let me tell you, I have the best family. Let me count the ways: On Friday, I wanted to get going to Sioux Falls in the afternoon and I was running behind. Dan was on his way out the door from lunch, but came back. He asked if there was anything he could do to help me and stuck around for another 15 minutes. That was big. Then, when we got to Sioux Falls, my aunt Donna was there to help with feeding the babies and I got a nap before my nighttime drive. I wanted to go to the Moms of Multiples rummage sale, so Donna helped me take the kids and we got some cute winter outfits. I was able to shop and Donna kept the kiddos happy in the triple stroller. Before getting out of town (after the last feeding so they could just sleep through the trip) we had a bit of a triple meltdown. The babies went crazy and no one would eat, they just sobbed. I know they were tired cause they hadn't napped well all day. I almost didn't go. BUT, as soon as they were put in carseats, they settled down and we took off. Thank goodness Donna was there because it was quite overwhelming.

The drive was so easy. I wasn't tired and the babies slept. When we stopped to fill up, they woke momentarily to smile at Alecia and get pacifiers to return to sleep. My parents met us in the Black Hills to help me with the final leg of the drive. How awesome is that? I really needed sleep by then so that was a big help. Boppy pillows are the most comfortable car pillows, I am never getting rid of ours.

When we got to Gillette, at 3 am, my aunt Mimi met us at my parents house. She had been traveling herself and had just gotten in from a long drive. She took the rest of the night/morning shift and I got to sleep in. So nice!

Saturday was crazy busy with seeing lots of family and friends. Sunday morning we went to church and I sang special music. That felt wonderful to sing of how good our God is. I hope in some way our lives have been singing that for the past year or so. God is so good!

Sunday afternoon, my family took over with the babies so I got a two hour nap before our drive. I had forgotten how relaxing a long, Sunday nap could be.

We headed back on Sunday afternoon, after the second to last feeding. I planned on getting going as soon as they were fed and then we'd do their last feeding on the road. But, it ended up going even better than I thought it would! My parents drove us over as far as Rapid City! My dad followed as my mom drove our van to give me a good start. They helped change, feed and get into pajamas... the kids, not me. :) They filled our car and sent us on our way! We didn't stop again until my aunt Donna's house! David, Levi, and Aria slept the whole way. This is definitely the way to travel, so I figure I better do it while they are this young and will sleep.

We arrived at one o'clock in the morning. My brother and his girlfriend, Kara met us at my aunt's and helped us unload and feed babies. I remember those college days of staying up all hours of the night... I have a feeling I may never return to those habits. I used to prefer to clean house between 10pm and 1am. Not anymore!! My aunt was up too and helped us, it always seems to take an army. I decided not to go all the way to Rock Rapids since I had help in Sioux Falls on Monday and the babies needed vaccine shots. It saved me a trip to Sioux Falls this week.

So, that is the quick version of our weekend and it still took forever to get typed. I love having this to journal our adventures and we'll have it forever. I have always loved writing and have started lots of diaries, but this is the only one I have ever stuck with. I am so glad I did.

I know I can go visit family with triplets easily because they are SUCH a big help when we get there and when we leave. They make it so easy when they are around, how could we not go? I know why I was given triplets. I have been prepared for these days by God through my family. I have been taught from an early age that you look what you can do for others and do it. It was a legacy I can remember from my beloved Grandma Dickey. She was always looking for ways to help others and in many different ways was always asking, "What can I do?" She may not have even asked it out loud, maybe just to herself... and when she found the answer she followed the calling. Now that trait has been strongly passed down to the next generations in her family. So when it came time for me to care for my babies, I know that whatever my hands can do to care for them, I am called to do it. It is easy... it is life... it is love.

Well, I'll find some pictures to load and get this posted! We didn't take a ton in Wyoming because there wasn't time! It was a whirlwind trip!

Love, Elizabeth

The babies on Sunday... FOUR months old!


Our trip to Island Park last Wednesday. Aria slept in her carseat the whole time and we took some pictures with the boys. We had a picnic with a sub sandwich. We were a picnic for the misquitoes. We spent a lot of time keeping them away from the babies (successfully) and the babies enjoyed looking at the trees.




Mommy and Levi





Daddy saying goodbye to David in his Bumbo chair, but he wanted to see the fan....



Soooo, here it is!!


Aria enjoying laying under a new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment