Last night, Dan and I united forces to battle the freezing cold coming in our house. Our back door leaks warmth. The outside was literally coming in to get my babies! I walked by the backdoor and noticed frost on the window... inside. With a closer look, the hinges were also frosted over and there was a pile of snow on the floor by the threshold. This makes for a not very happy Momma of sick children! This door is three feet from where my babies play all day on the floor. It is no wonder we are all cold! Here is a picture of our improvised insulation.
As I lay in bed listening to the howling wind last night, I had a major urge to gather my babies and cuddle them between Dan and I for the night. They just seemed so far away and the wind seemed to be whipping right between me and them. But, my logic kicked in and I knew no one would get any sleep (and Dan would be a very unhappy camper) so I left well enough alone.
David has been trying to get up on his knees more lately. I think he will be crawling within a month. Levi has got a ways to go. Aria isn't really in the ballpark right now. She sure is cute though. Today she was playing with a little froggy toy and just laughed and laughed at it all by herself. She laughs and smiles so easily. As you can see from the previous video, she loves giving "kisses" lately. She has done this for a while, but never with the enthusiasm I saw that night. If we kiss her on the cheek, she will often try to give kisses back on our cheek. She is so sweet.
Levi always wakes up so happy in the morning. I love that about him. He is my little ray of sunshine in the morning. When I lay him on the changing table lately, he starts smiling and getting ready for me to play kissy face with him. When he is drinking his bottle, he always stares up at me with huge brown eyes and I wonder what he is thinking. He wanted to be held a lot today and fussed when I put him down. I was fine with a little extra lovin' on Levi today.
David has a hilarious new habit. I have to get it on video!! I am always afraid to whip out the camera because of the sorry state of affairs that is my wardrobe, hair and make-up lately. Anyway... he will twist in your arms until he finds some bare skin and then try to blow "raspberries" on it. You know... the tooting sound 3rd graders like to make. He has entertained us for quite a few evenings with this new talent. He cracks me up.
Speaking of David, we had a wonderful moment today, amidst the crazy/fussy afternoon. Aria and Levi had both gone down for naps. David was last but was putting up a good fight. I knew if I could get him in the dark and put him down he would work out his issues and go to sleep. Unfortunately, he shares a room with Aria. I did NOT want him waking her up with his mumble/grumble/squealy time, so I opted to lay down with him in my room. Too bad I had to lay there with him to make sure he didn't scoot off the edge. Ha. He actually didn't make a peep once we got in there. I always lay him on his tummy now because he would roll to it in two seconds anyway, and he laid there propped all the way up one his arms looking around. I tried to pretend to sleep but got sucked in by the sparkle of his blue eyes in the glow of the window. They were enchanting. My precious little baby and his big chunky cheeks would look at me, then the window at the sounds of the trucks going by on the highway. It wasn't long before he first put his tired head down. But, he resisted rest a few more times before giving in to me rubbing his back. He laid his head on my arm. It was so precious. He could have laid it down on the bed but he chose my arm. I started smoothing down his fluffy, blond, thin locks and he gave in. I couldn't help but thank God in that moment for my beautiful son and say a prayer for who he will be someday when he is not laying in my arms. I thought of the other two also and how full my heart is.
I realized the other day that the ache that my heart used to feel is gone. I would have to describe it as a mourning for a someone you have lost. That ache of not knowing what could have been. Except my mourning was always for that someone I had never known... children I may never meet. I did not know if I would have children, if I would get to see the product of my profound love for my husband. It was a daily thought, as I know it is for every woman who wants to be a mom. But, the Lord gave me grace and patience for those moments and now the greatest blessings in the world. I have to pause and reflect on days like today and see where I was a little over a year ago. The most awesome part looking back is seeing how God was setting us up for a story and a love greater than ourselves. We could not have chosen this because no one would give themselves such a daunting challenge. I would have picked an easier path with far fewer rewards. I would have never known the true depth of Dan's love and faithfulness. I never would have guessed that I had the perseverance or endurance that these babies have needed from me. It wasn't there before, I know it. The Lord knew he had angels standing by in the form of our family and friends to provide for our needs. I pray they each are blessed by being a blessing to us. So many people prayed for us. I just met the husband of a friend the other day and he told us that every night for almost a year, his wife prayed for us to have a child. That touched me to the core. Who am I that such thoughtfulness be given to me? How often have I failed to bring my loved ones and friends to the Lord like that? I pray I can pass on all I have been given and remember to pray often for those in need.
So, in the end, I guess I am happy for the trials of today. I always make it through the tough hours for some laughter in the evening, even if it is after the kids are in bed. I love that Dan and I have each other to wind down together at the end of the day. There is a collective deep breath when the three little ones go to dreamland. It's like the sigh of satisfaction after a job well done. I am not saying we always do the best job... don't ask me how many times we put off bath night from sheer exhaustion... but just getting three babies to sleep is a good thing. It just so happens that since Dan is out working on his snowmobile (the kids are in bed already-of course), my "sigh" for the night has come out as this blog and a bunch of pent up thoughts that have been swirling too long. Too bad it has come at the cost of the clutter on my floor and the dishes in my sink.
I was just thinking, Dan forgot to eat supper tonight. Good thing it was just burnt pizza that was previously frozen (because brunt frozen pizza makes no sense)! He put it in as we were feeding bedtime bottles and cereal. As he was walking upstairs with a sleeping Aria, he whisper yelled, "Oh yeah! The pizza!!" I happen to be changing David at that moment and ran to the oven, sure to find flames or at least smoke. Nope, just black crust and pepperoni. As it was halfway out of the oven I remembered my precious little rolling machine laying atop my changing table. I dropped the pizza stone and ran back to the living room in time to find him attempting his first roll. That was way too close. Not my proudest moment, but one that happened none the less.
Well, I suppose I will load up some pictures and get to beddy-bye. My husband just let out his sigh, but it was not of relief. I think this one is translated "I can't believe the condition of this house." That's my cue. Thanks for making it this far and here is your reward. (Poo poo on all those of you that skipped straight to the pictures!)
Daddy admiring his angel, David.
Aria, working on learning to use the sippy. We are just practicing for now.
Levi, working on his peas. Yummy!
David, chewing away on Daddy's finger.
Aria, looking way too long and way too skinny in her Daddy's favorite sleeper.
"Hey Momma! Does it look like I'm reading?" ~Aria
"Hey Momma! See me holding my own bottle?" ~David
"Hey Momma! Do I have enough peas spread around yet to look like the Grinch?" ~Levi
All three in the jackets Grandma and Grandpa Rigsby got them for turning 6 months old!
Hurry up and get those babies here. We need to see them and hold them before they get too big to cuddle with.
ReplyDeleteGrandma Rigsby
Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration. I am amazed by the every day details of your lives, and can't imagine all of the challenges and joys that must fill your days. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us.
Love, Jami
Just so you know...I did not skip ahead to the pictures. I LOVE reading your posts. You are such an amazing writer, you always bring me to tears! I can really relate in a lot of ways to what you wrote about. I so know the feeling of being exhausted and worn out from crying babies. Granted, I have two, not three and mine are 2 years apart. But still, I do know the feeling of being over whelmed and letting out that long sigh at the end of the day. It is VERY hard work being a Mommy, AND a SAHM. So many people think that sahm's have the 'easiest' job in the world. We know better. It is by the far the most important, but by no means the easiest. It is amazing though just by having one amazing moment with your child makes you forget all the hard times you had the rest of the day. God is so good that way!! From one Mommy to another Mommy, you are AMAZING, keep up the good work!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm on my way as soon as school is out on Friday. I can't wait to kiss those precious little faces and hold those angels. I am even looking forward to helping mom any way that I can ... as long as it isn't organizing any performances for the Christmas season. I'm just about done with that! Three more to go! :) I love you all and can't wait to have you in Wyoming too!!!
ReplyDeleteAunt Mimi