Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas/New Years – Part II

I didn’t take any time to blog this past week. I guess “being on vacation” meant vacationing from the blog too! I have less and less time to be on here as the babies grow and sleep less, so I will have to work on writing short snippets more, instead of the wordy things I usually spew.

I am writing this from the van on the way back to Rock Rapids (January 4). We’ll see how long the carsickness stays away. My dad is driving us back. But, I will go back to the very beginning… a very good place to start! (Always good to throw in some “Sound of Music” lyrics when I can!)

Our trip out to Wyoming for the rest of Christmas started at 3am on December 27th. Dan and I knew the kids would behave the best for the trip if they were sleeping. We didn’t want to leave in the middle of his Grandma’s Christmas party the night before. We were right to travel like we did, because we didn’t hear a peep out of them for 5 hours. We only had to stop once for the wake-up bottle and then it was one more hour until my parents house.

We had a wonderful Christmas gathering later that morning. My parents had a Christmas tree they had gotten from the Black Hills like we used to do when I was little. There were many fun gifts to open for the kids. They got fun toys, lots of clothes, and homemade blankets from aunt Jessica! Yay! Dan and I were also spoiled. I have some pictures of our morning as a family.

David giving Grandma kisses


Opening stockings




Uncle James holding Levi, as we only have two laps between us for our three kids!


David opening lots of clothes

Jessica and Grandma helping Aria open all her cute clothes!

Donna helping David with Levi laying there eating his toes!

Levi, our little gift!

That evening we went to my Dad’s brother’s house. Lots of the Rigsby side of the family was there. My Great-Grandpa and Grandma Rigsby had all seven of their great-grandkids there, so everyone took a picture. I say everyone, because we piled the kids on my grandparents, and then all the adults in the room got behind the three people with cameras and start hooting and hollering. Why do adults turn in to babbling idiots when taking pictures of babies? We all do it. And the pictures are cute. I guess the babies have us trained.

Sunday was a relaxing day with church in the morning and then hanging out with family. David, Aria, and Levi turned 7 months old! Dan took off for Montana that night with Douglas and Kara so they could be there to ski on Monday at Red Lodge. I hear they had a blast. On Tuesday, I had a “day off” and went shopping with my friend Amber all day. It was glorious. New Years Eve Day, Dan was crazy enough to get up at 5am to go snowmobiling in the Black Hills. He went with Douglas, Kara and her dad, Keith. Keith drove all the way from Rock Rapids and I hear they had a great time. I told Dan they had to be back early enough for us to have a nice New Years evening together. Where were to kids, you ask? Aren’t you parents... of three babies? How in the world did you do all this running around? Well.... have I ever told you how WONDERFUL my family is? They helped us out soooo much this week and really gave us a break. My sister Jessica and her husband James spent some quality time with the kids. Of course, the proud (and now exhausted) grandparents took great care of the babies, and us. It may be a 1000 mile round trip for us, but every mile is worth it to get to Gillette.

New Years Eve we had a get-together at my friend, Kenzie’s house. It was a blast and there was lots of good food, fun and laughter. Thanks for hosting us, Kenzie & Shaun! We had been able to get Aria and Levi to bed before we left for the party. David and Grandpa fought it out soon after we left. Grandpa won and David soon went off to bed too. I can’t believe we stayed out till 2am, but seeing friends and hanging out with my siblings was well worth it.

Friday evening, Dan left to come back across South Dakota. He had plans to go pheasant hunting Saturday morning with a friend from high school. It is the last weekend of the season and Dan’s last chance to use the other days from his license. I think it’s also nice to see his friend, Jason. That is why my dad is volunteering to drive us back to Iowa. He will come back on Wednesday in the car my brother drove back. Let’s just say, it’s a good thing gas is $1.23 in Gillette!

Saturday was awesome because the kids had a play date!! Aria had her best friend, Rylan, over. Luckily she brought with her my best friend, her momma Kenzie. Then, another friend from high school, Dani, brought over her son to play too! Scott was born three weeks before David, Aria, and Levi. We had lots of fun visiting while the floor was littered with our babies! We were also glad Dani brought a photographer with her so we could have a group picture. Her husband, Doug, did a wonderful job. We can’t believe how many of our friends had babies this year and wished we all could have been together! Just want to say we missed you to Kim, Tiffany, Stacey and others that I don’t know if they have ever seen my blog.

Aria and Rylan playing:

Rylan and Scott

McKenzie with Levi, Dani holding Rylan with Scott sitting by:

Back Row: Dani, Kenzie, Me
Front Row: Scott, Rylan, Levi, Aria, David


That night, we finally had a taco party!!! Taco parties are a tradition that my children have taken part many times in their lives already. We make up all the fixings for tons of tacos and get together as a family. “Family” means many close friends too that we just call family now. The parties are getting so big, and the triplets take up so much room that we found a new location for the party! There are only so many places to squeeze in card tables at my mom or aunt Marie’s house. Yesterday, we all gathered at the new fire station in Gillette. My uncle Rob is a firefighter and Douglas also volunteers there when he is home. They have a beautiful new facility and there was room for everyone. Good times!

Here is the big TV room with tons of big recliners! Grandpa Rigsby was watching the kiddos play.

Great Grandpa Dickey with Aria and David


I was sure David was going to be crawling by the time we left Gillette, but he’s still working on that skill. Aria is getting much better about sitting up and Levi is almost there. He likes to be on his tummy a lot more lately so I know he won’t be far behind David.

Speaking of David and being ahead… he got his first tooth while we were away! Dan found it the night of the 26th. I came running to look, and you couldn’t see much but you could definitely feel it. Now, it is in full view, especially when he flashes his beautiful smile.

We are having lots of fun with the kids as their personalities shine through more each day. They laugh easily and keep us entertained. I am excited to have their next well-baby check-up this Friday to see how much they weigh and such.

I don't think I am going to be able to type much more because babies who should be sleeping, are not. I think the glow from the computer screen is illuminating my face and it must be more interesting than the backs of their eyelids. Dad and I had stopped in Wall, SD to feed and change them. There wasn't anything too evenful about the stop and it only took us an hour. We even fed them their bedtime cereal, so I am not sure why they are stirring now. Somehow I will have to convince them that even though they are not in their beds, it is not playtime. Mommy wants a nap! Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season and happy New Year from the Nebelsicks!!

Love,
Elizabeth

6 comments:

  1. That is a great picture of you and Dani and Kenzie...what fun to be able to all get together.
    Tammy (Kocher) Howe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the TV room with all the big red chairs in the fire station? That looks like a really nice room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the babies are laying in front of the big screen TV. I could have lounged in there a while! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that I couldn't hang out with you, Dani and Kenzie!!! Maybe at the high school reunion in July?? Are you all going then? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never got an invitation, Tiff did, but if you go to classmates.com and look at your name there is a thing you can respond to whether you are going or not. I think that she should be planning it on Facebook and not classmates, cause there is more people on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the boys' Christmas jammies in these pictures. Leo has the same ones. We should have a pj party...only if it includes sleep.

    ReplyDelete